I love things like this – whether or not they were actually Indian Commandments or just a summing up of the Indian philosophy of life, it doesn’t really matter.
What matters most is the message and one that we can all take notice of. For me it’s so important that we have something that helps to work with our moral compass. It’s important that we find something that we can hold onto and work into our own personal value system. Because at the end of the day, it’s our values that define who we are and who we are is what we show to the world, in turn defining what we receive in return.
So these beautiful commandments read as follows:
- The Earth is our Mother; care for her
- Honour all your Relations
- Open your Heart and Soul to the Great Spirit
- All Life is Sacred; treat all Beings with Respect
- Take from the Earth what is needed and Nothing more
- Do what Needs to be done for the Good of All
- Give constant Thanks to the Great Spirit for Each Day
- Speak the Truth but only for the Good in Others
- Follow the Rhythms of Nature
- Enjoy Life’s Journey; but Leave no Tracks
I really hope that you enjoy them – print them out and keep them close to you. It may be just what you need to help you along each day. To help bring your attention back to what is important and what we should focus on rather the negative stuff that we allow ourselves to get caught up in every day.